A History of Altona and Laverton
Very little secondary industry existed in Altona prior to 1920 apart from a couple of quarries. A brick and tils works was established near Rose
Street for approximately 18 months about 1920. Some shops and houses in Altona built of these materials still stand.
In 1923 the Commonwealth Oil Refineries (now British Petroleum) established a small Refinery north of the Geelong railway. A few other industries
commenced in the years prior to World War II, but it has only been since then that industrial development has increased and caused the rapid
growth of Altona.
A History Of Altona
by Allen J. Clark Hom Secretary and Members of the Altona Historical Society
First published 1974, Second Edition 1978